Who Am I, What Do I Do?
- First appointed as a Health and Safety Adviser in 1982
- Established as a Sole Practitioner in February 2007, practising in both the UK and the Republic of Ireland
- Was brought up on a working farm, and a large country estate. Spent much time around, in particular, working / showing horses
- Leaving agriculture for a while, I worked for two FTSE 100 companies in a number of safety related roles including project management
- Have extensive experience of working with enforcing authorities, devising industry codes of practice and mediation where conflicts have arisen
- Provides a legal support service, including incident management and client representation
- British Eventing – Advisor to the Board of Directors, also Blenheim Palace International Horse Trials, Bramham International Horse Trials, The Festival of British Eventing [Gatcombe Park], Chatsworth House International Horse Trials, Littleton Manor Equestrian Centre Ltd
- Advisor to the Boards of Directors for British Showjumping and British Dressage
- Other Equestrian Clients – Longines Global Champions Tour, National Farm Attractions Network
- Established a practice in supporting Planning Applications for agriculture and riding establishments that include public attendance. Has appeared at Planning Appeal hearings as an Expert Witness
- Is well aware of the management techniques required for managing voluntary and young person’s workers
- Includes practical issues of access and self-management for disabled persons as part of the overall assessment of the location
I Work by Keeping it Simple
1. First Consultation Visit
- Simple H&S Audit to identify where you are and what may be required
- Agreement on the way forward and cost
- Agreement for onward services
2. Planned Consultations
- Planned visits as agreed with a set of notes to confirm findings.
- Carry out any work that you believe you may not be able to undertake
- 6 monthly formal review
3. Unplanned Consultations
- Call in service as the need arises.
- Available only when I am in a travelable distance from you
- Time charged on an hourly basis – minimum 2 hour charged plus agreed mileage
- Phone consultations where practicable at no charge but only to existing clients
What Services Can I Offer?
Established Business Services:
Bespoke Safety Management Solutions and Process Control
Risk Management & Risk Control / Management
One Stop Shop Advice on H&S Issues [associate advice available on other issues including security and human resources]
Estate Safety Coordination / Monitoring
Root Cause Incident Investigation & Analysis
Litigation Support Services
Risk Profiles & Process Mapping
Equestrian / Public Interface Management
What Do My Clients Say About My Services?
“I have worked with Ray for many, many years in my capacity as FEI Technical Delegate and BE Steward at many events in the UK and, more recently, as Director of Chatsworth International Horse Trials. There is no-one I would trust more to look out for our events. His attention to detail, work ethic, knowledge and commitment make him, in my view, the best Health & Safety Adviser there is.”
Patricia Clifton – The Dodson & Horrell, Chatsworth International Horse Trials
“British Eventing was very fortunate to have Ray Hipkin in its team when the full requirements of health and safety legislation became a reality to our sport. He translated what looked like a complete mine field of legislation into practical solutions with his pragmatic approach. By doing so he assisted us to introduce bench mark standards to our events that have become the model across many equestrian sports. British Eventing was awarded Lead Body status by our enforcing authorities as a result. He also converted the most sceptical members of our team and showed us that compliance is possible without obstructing the enjoyment we get from of our sport. We are pleased to say that Ray continues to assist us in our quest to prevent injury and to continually improve our performance in human and equine health, safety and welfare.”
Mike Etherington-Smith – Chef Executive, British Eventing
“Ray Hipkin has a style of health and safety management that is based on pragmatism and effective delivery of the professional standards I want for my organisation. He makes legislation seem straight forward and uncomplicated which means my team willingly work within the bench marks set. Ray’s hands-on approach lends itself to working as part of the team. He also takes time to understand how the organisation works and fits into that structure as well as the wishes of my clients. Ray is also willing to assist in other areas for the benefit of the project we are working on.”
Tim Henson – Director, Henson Franklyn Ltd
“Ray’s technical breadth of knowledge across health and safety and the legal apparatus through which Health and Safety regulation is enforced is excellent. Alongside his pragmatic, practical, approach to problem solving and his very accessible training style make Ray a formidable and very effective Safety Practitioner.”
Chris Jones – Director of Compliance, Health and Safety, Cory Environmental
“Weston Park International Horse Trials is privileged to have the professional assistance of Ray Hipkin. Ray has undertaken all aspects of our Health and Safety remit for 9 years with diligence, commitment and good humour. His model is now regarded as the lead documentation for many equestrian venues and establishments.
Ray has great strengths in times of disaster and is a valued team member who is always ready to turn his hand to other duties.”
Janet Plant – British Eventing Technical Advisor & Weston Park Director and Organiser